This salad of roasted beets, arugula, and balsamic vinaigrette is ideal for the autumn and winter months. Fresh arugula, fragrant roasted beets, crunchy pecans, and creamy cheese comprise the ideal combination. You may substitute goat cheese or feta instead. The balsamic vinaigrette will be an indispensable addition to any autumn salad.
This roasted red beet salad is certain to become a fall favorite if you enjoy hearty salads; it is brimming with flavorful and nutritious components. This is our preferred balsamic vinaigrette; it is drizzled over our reader-favorite Cobb Salad and Autumn Chopped Salad.
Roasted Beet Salad Recipe
I was immediately captivated by the beet salad with arugula that my companion Nataliya suggested. It tastes exquisite, but you won’t believe how SIMPLY it can be prepared. This truly is the most magnificent beet salad recipe.
We brought this to my sister’s home for dinner, where it was quickly devoured and received nothing but praise from all. Without a doubt, the balsamic vinaigrette will convert you. You will appreciate that this salad contains:
- Easy to make – especially if you make Instant Pot Beets and even cook them ahead.
- Colorful– the gorgeous Fall color palette adds festive beauty to your table
- Customizableable– you’re in control of what goes into your salad to meet your taste and dietary needs
- Good for you – Packed with essential nutrients
Ingredients for Beet Salad
Everything about this beet salad is good – rich in flavor and super healthy thanks to the fresh ingredients.
- Beets – the stars of this salad, you will need 6 medium red or golden beets or a combination of the two
- Baby arugula – rinsed and spun dry
- Feta cheese (or Goat Cheese)- use crumbled cheese or dice up a block yourself
- Pecans – toasted
- Dried cranberries – add a sweet and tangy layer of flavor
Ingredients for Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Extra virgin olive oil – a flavorful base for your dressing
- Balsamic vinegar – its well-rounded sweet flavor pairs perfectly with leafy salad greens
- Dijon mustard – we use Grey Poupon brand
- Garlic – 1 clove, pressed or finely minced
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Ingredients for beet salad: beets, pecans, feta, arugula, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Grey Poupon dijon mustard, salt and pepper
Variations and Substitutions
This salad is entirely adaptable to individual preferences. You may substitute various types of lettuce, gold beets sliced apple, red onion or scallions, or even red beets, which I adore for their vibrant hues. Additionally, the pecans and cheese can be substituted.
- Goat cheese (our recent favorite!)
- Gorgonzola cheese
- Grated parmesan
- Nut Option: Walnuts
- Toasted pine nuts
- Almond slivers
- Candied pecans
- Greens Options: Mixed greens
- Baby spinach
- Red leaf lettuce
How to Cook Beets
After washing and trimming the beets, reduce the length of the stems to approximately a quarter-inch and the roots to no more than two inches.
Instant Pot Method: Cooking beets in your Instant Pot is the quickest and easiest way to cook tender beets. If you have one, follow the steps on my Instant Pot Beets tutorial.
Oven-Roasted Beets: If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, don’t fret. Preheat your oven to 400°F. and line the bottom of a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Tightly wrap each beet in aluminum foil to seal and arrange the beets on the baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until the largest beet is easily pierced. Unwrap the beets.
You can pre-cook beets up to 3 days in advance, cover, and refrigerate them until ready to use.
How to Make Beet Salad
Prepare and chill Beets – Regardless of the method used to prepare the beets, allow them to chill to room temperature before trimming the roots and peeling the skins; this should be an effortless process. Then, divide them into segments.
To toast pecans, toss them frequently in a dry skillet until aromatic and golden in color.
Assemble Components: Prior to combining, rinse and dry the arugula in a large salad bowl. Spread the feta cheese, dried cranberries, and toasted hazelnuts on top of the sliced beets.
Prepare a balsamic vinegar drizzle and apply it to the dish just prior to serving. To combine, toss.
How to Make Balsamic Vinaigrette
Combine extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, one garlic clove, salt, and pepper in a mason jar.
After securing with the lid, vigorously spin to incorporate. About 3/4 of this recipe is utilized to make this salad. Having dressing on hand to apply to a subsequent salad is never a negative thing.
Servings: 6 as a side salad, 4 as a main course
Beet Salad with Arugula Ingredients:
6 medium, 2 lbs beets
5 oz 6 cups baby arugula, rinsed and spun dry
4 oz or 1/2 cup feta cheese, diced or crumbled
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard, we love Grey Poupon brand
1 garlic clove, pressed or finely minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
How to Make Beet Salad with Arugula:
- Preheating the oven to 400°F is required. Prepare a medium-rimmed baking sheet by lining its underside with foil. Before proceeding, line a baking sheet with foil and encase each beet in its foil. Bake for one hour in a preheated oven, or until the largest beet can be readily peeled. After allowing the beets to settle to room temperature and unwrapped, peel them before slicing them in half and wedges.
- Toss 1/2 cup pecans frequently over a dry skillet until aromatic and golden in color. Discard from heat and allow to settle.
- After transferring the arugula to a large mixing basin, combine the toasted pecans, dried cranberries, sliced beets, and feta cheese.
How To Make Balsamic Vinaigrette:
In a small mason jar, combine all dressing ingredients and shake well to combine. Drizzle over salad to taste. If not serving salad right away, shake the dressing again just before drizzling over the salad.
Use disposable mittens to maintain clean hands. Simply rubbing the beet will remove the shells immediately. Remove the root end in order to dispose of any portion of the beet that came into contact with the foil.
Read Also:- Juicy Oven Baked Chicken Breast